Cause for thought 3
This Same Jesus
(3) “Same” - for Complete Obedience
Jesus one day will return from heaven in the same way as the apostles saw Him go.1 None knows when this will be.2 Meanwhile, the apostles followed His example of complete obedience. Christians still have the same calling, which means: -
(1) SUBMIT to Scripture in everything, without which none can truly say of God: “I do always those things that please him.” 3 Remember Christ’s prayer at Gethsemane: that all His followers may be one.4 Clearly, that means uniting beneath God’s truth. Secondly,
(2) ACT in accordance with God’s Word. Proverbs 3:6 says: “In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” Perish the day when we might simply follow our own inclinations! Next,
(3) MEASURE everything against Scripture, which remains the same for ever.5 Many problems besetting the Christian Church nowadays stem from right and wrong being determined according to the twists and turns of public opinion. Finally,
(4) EXHORT earnestly and contend for the faith once and for all delivered unto the saints.6 There is not a new revelation for every age, or a new Gospel to gratify the gainsayers of this one. Christ Jesus will one day come again; and He said this: “...when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?” 7
That’s very sobering, isn’t it?
Read: Malachi 3:1-6; Hebrews 13:1-9; 1 Peter 1:22-25.
1: Acts 1:11. 2: Acts 1:7 3: John 8:29. 4: John 17:11 & 21.
5: See: Psalm 119:89. 6: Jude 3. 7: Luke 18:8